https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc8Z5QaGdsg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:52 pm 

AntiSPAM: No
Coming in 2016:

Waterfall Algae scrubber

Version 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:14 pm 

After I invented the waterfall scrubber in 2008, it's great that so many people got to DIY it, and it's also great that lots of builders/sellers used it as their design up until the current day. It's had over 7 years to gather hobbyists.

2012 was a good year though, when I introduced the upflow scrubber. It's only had 3 years to gather hobbyists, but offers them what they did not have before: a compact place where they can put a scrubber that does not spill over when it fills up.

Now that the upflows are established, it's time to do some more work on the waterfalls. They've been unchanged since 2008, and almost every part of them can be improved. So over the next year or two I'll post up the improvements piece by piece. Hopefully the improvements will be useful to all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:17 pm 

The first improvement to the waterfall design is the screen. Since I designed it in 2008, the screen has just been made by hand by scraping knitting screen with a wood saw blade. It worked, but was fragile because of the soft knitting material. It also would wear out after several months of cleaning it, and sometimes it would pull away and rip from it's tie points. And even after hours of scraping, it was still very hard to get the insides of the little square holes rough enough (you want all the surfaces to be very rough, to hold on to the growth). Well, it's 2016 now, and 3D printers are here to stay, so let's use them to make the screens!

Green Grabber® screens use a patent-pending 3D printing method called Rough 3D to make exactly what works the best for algae attachment, and the screens use a type of plastic that is more sturdy than the softer plastic used for knitting screens. The material is also U.S. FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved for contact with food, to make sure that the fish and corals don't get any residual plasticizers from other types of plastics. Also there is no mortar to detach from the screen which might be ingested by fish. Instead the screen stays rough, all the time.

Lastly, since you can 3D print several different things into one piece, the mounting holes (for putting zip-ties / tie-wraps through the screen) are molded in, and are covered in rough surfaces so even they add to the algae attachment area:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:16 pm 

"Love your algae scrubbers" -- Albert Thiel

"The Santa Monica HOG units don't have any splashing and are extremely easy to take out to clean" -- Olysi on the UR site.

drop.2
"I have a DROP.2 making mad algae!" -- css49015 on the scrubber site.
"I'm using the DROP.2 and have not done water changes in my BC29 in over a month. Really pleased with the product!" -- basser1 on the NR site.

drop.6
"So now I believe that Algae Scrubber works and will help my tanks. The Drop box 0.6 proved it!:

"I've been using the UAS DROP.2 for about a year. It's worked great! My nano tank is in serious trouble without the UAS!

drop1.2
"It works great. I love this product!" -- Mike Orlando, Clifton Park, New York, USA.
"It's a common sense product; easy and reliable" -- Martin Caceres, Total Aquariums retail store, East Rockaway, New York, USA
"Happy reefer with DROP1.2 and now I only clean my glass once a week" -- madreamseeker on the SGR site.
"I have not had to clean the glass of algae since [2 months after getting scrubber] and there is no algae at all in the tank. It took a few months to get the type of algae in my image to grow but not its normal to pull that much out of the tank a month. I have 4 fish in a IM 40 I feed once a day at night. The scrubber just stopped the usual cycle of algae in a new system. This tank has been set up for 18 months now so it's still new. Would not set up a tank without an algae scrubber its just a so easy to use and takes little of my time to care for. Which for me is utter important. Using GFO and other methods of phosphate removal require a constant interaction and replacement of media. So there is a cost in time and money. Which to me is not sustainable" -- reefwiser on the 2R2 site:

drop1.4
"my drop 1.4 is growing ulva like crazy. Wish I'd gone bigger" -- jlentz on the R2R site.

drop1.4x
"I personally like the quality of both [DROP1.4x] units. They do work as advertised for me. Harvesting each one every other week, so while one is cleaned - other is at full power" -- seregus on the UR site.

hog.5
"I use a Santa Monica HOG.5 upflow algae scrubber and I love it. It works wonders... I get insane nasty growth every seven days" -- smeagol108 on the NR site.
"My 4 year old HOG.5 is still growing great" - Russ13 on the SCR site:

hog1
"HOG1 had been making nice thick seaweed for the past few weeks. Really took off nicely. Been pulling out a chunck every week" -- jcs11236 on the R2R site.
"It's working quite well. Thank you, great product" -- Art Friday, North Carolina.
"Didn't have much hope for it at first but love it after giving it plenty of time to establish and not giving up on it" -- smeagol108 on the NR site.
pics only:

hog1x
"I am finally getting a great harvest. I'm glad I stuck with it!" -- TJ Wyand:
"i have the UAS HOG1x on my 60 cube, no skimmer or filter sock and feeding plenty. Love my scrubber works like a charm. but what i love the most is how efficient my tank is with electricity, just a 30 watt led keesil, air pump, led's for scrubber, heater and uplift pump for an sps tank is not bad at all, especially considering how expensive electricity is" -- Mogamatseraajregal in South Africa, on the MASA site.

hog2
"the only filtration giving me these results is the two [HOG2] scrubbers and a polyfilter. No skimmer, no phosban reactor, nothing else, not even foam or filter floss. This HAS TO BE the best filter available" -- Centralscot on the scrubber site.
"HOG2 seems to work great! Thanks again! My clown loaches love the water now" -- Antti Miettinen, Finland.
"I just wanted to let you know my nitrate levels are zero. I have never had this tank at zero nitrates. I have always had to do multiple water changes ever week. Can’t thank you enough. Neither can my fish." -- Snohomish, Washington, USA:
pics only:

hog3
"very happy with the quality of the [HOG3] product" -- houman hashemi, in france.
"I found my saltwater hermit crabs are eating [in the HOG3]. Sweet. Saves on buying those algae tabs. I love this algae scrubber!" -- Kelly Peissner.
"my HOG3 is doing a good job in my 90 gallon tank, it consistently produces thick green hair algae that I clean/remove every 2-3 weeks. I bought a custom 190 gallon tank and will run a 60 gallon sump underneath for corals and fish, but no inverts. I intend to use a HOG3x for this tank setup" -- Derek Johnson, Greece.
Pics only:
Lowell Sharron, Pacific Palasades, California, USA:
Rod Campbell, Arizona, USA:
John Nicolosi, California, USA: