Wisconsin Reef Society

The Wisconsin Reef Society
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:52 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:30 am 

srlumaye wrote:
MadCityReefer wrote:
In my opinion a combination of t5 and leds are the way to go!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Based on the picture above, wouldn't an LED "string" in place of the T5 do the same thing, but also eliminate the replacement cost of the T5 bulbs (Note I have no idea if an LED string commercially exists in the color you would need - commenting on the concept mostly)

No, led are still such a small point source light, that even a string of them throws strong shadows. Spread out fixtures like the photon still have lots of shadowing.

( unless you bolt it to a 6 bulb t5 fixture, then there is very little shadowing!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:24 am 
WRS Member
WRS Member

You get best coloring from t5s on outside and less in center.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:08 pm 
WRS Member
WRS Member

"( unless you bolt it to a 6 bulb t5 fixture, then there is very little shadowing!)"

That is kind of what I meant. If I have main LED in the middle, and then a "string" along the front of the tank pointing towards the bottom center and a string along the back of the tank pointing towards the bottom center, aren't the stings then performing the same function as the T5, assuming the strings are diffused enough to not function like a "laser beam"? Isn't that is why there are 90 Deg and 120 Deg optics on the main lights, so that the LED do not operate like a laser beam?

Maybe there just needs to be better "diffusing" on the LED Strings... If that diffusing isn't there, then I would agree a T5 would work better for the shadowing...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:50 pm 

srlumaye wrote:
"( unless you bolt it to a 6 bulb t5 fixture, then there is very little shadowing!)"

That is kind of what I meant. If I have main LED in the middle, and then a "string" along the front of the tank pointing towards the bottom center and a string along the back of the tank pointing towards the bottom center, aren't the stings then performing the same function as the T5, assuming the strings are diffused enough to not function like a "laser beam"? Isn't that is why there are 90 Deg and 120 Deg optics on the main lights, so that the LED do not operate like a laser beam?

Maybe there just needs to be better "diffusing" on the LED Strings... If that diffusing isn't there, then I would agree a T5 would work better for the shadowing...

That is pretty much the story. Leds, even with good optics on them, very readily throw shadows and disco ball effects due to their small source. Until you get the light from them to be coming from a wide reflector, that is always going to be the case.

My back (t5) fixture is angled forward slightly, and the photon is angled backwards, slightly more.
I ran t5 only, then led only. I love the mix, was not satisfied with led only. T5 only was fine, except for the fluorescent pop that led can provide, was missing.