Wisconsin Reef Society

The Wisconsin Reef Society
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:54 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Regarding Limpits Coral Blend
Poll ended at Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:16 pm
Yes, omit the garlic and nutritional additives from the Coral Blend. 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
No, leave things just the way they are. 77%  77%  [ 20 ]
Total votes: 26
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:16 pm 

AntiSPAM: No
rslinger wrote:
I use the same skimmer and have never had a problem, but have you cleaned out the next on the cup in a long time because I have noticed if I don't clean the neck out couple times a week I over skim sometimes. Doesn't matter what I feed at that time. I am not sure.

So you and shoota are using the SWC 120 cones?
This is indeed interesting that one will have foam issues after feeding and one will not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:16 pm 

Shoota, what water depth is your skimmer in?
Also, I see you wrote on the MARS site that you are feeding a chunk of my food the size of half of a dollar bill in a 60 gallon tank. If so you are way overfeeding so it is no surprise to me that your SWC 120 cone is foaming like it is in your video. I am in no way trying to be critical towards you with my statement but you should cut back on how much you are feeding.
In my 180 heavily stocked reef the most I would ever feed would be a piece the size of a quarter. A little bit of my food goes a long way.
If you feel you must feed that much to your tank then I would suggest splitting up your feedings instead of doing one huge one.

Now onto the subject of the test batches of coral food I said I would prepare. I have only received two PM's from people stating that they would like to try it out, I was hoping for some more. If anyone else is interested in trying out the test packs please let me know.
Full details on getting the test batch packages will be made available later this week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:50 am 

Yes we are using the same skimmer. I am an under feeder I think. I only feed a nickel size in a 75 gallon display 110 gallon total system twice a week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:49 am 

Water depth is 6-7 inches. Or about an inch above the outlet. So your recommendation is that I feed less... Im curious what you mean when you say "a little bit of my food goes a long way" ? Does that mean too much limpits = too much garlic and selcon and phyto? I have no skimmer issues when I feed the same amount of nutramar, Rods, mysis, or any other food for that matter. Nothing I have fed has made my skimmer do this. I feel it has to be the additives. Which is why I can rinse your food and feed as much as i want without having any skimmer issues. This is the point of my argument. Take the additives out so I can feed how much I want without polluting my water with so much selcon, garlic, and phyto. I like to add this stuff myself so I know how much I'm putting in and can use it sparingly. Like I said before, I think these additives do have benefits, but its so easy to cross the line from beneficial into being pollution. I love the texture of your food but hate the additives. I beg please please please make an additive free blend and id be happier than a kid in a candy shop. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 am 

My 60 gallon gets a piece slighlty larger than my thumbnail. I can't even imagine what feeding a 2" square would do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:04 am 

wantsalotta wrote:
My 60 gallon gets a piece slighlty larger than my thumbnail. I can't even imagine what feeding a 2" square would do.

Same here. I have a 125 with a lot of LPS and NPS that are all spot fed. I use a piece of food a little bigger than a quarter.
IMO, if you want to feed that much, at some point, something will set the skimmer off. Shoota, have you tried turning your return pump off during feeding?

What about the others? Anyone else with test results? Interested to hear what others have to say.
So far, 77% say keep it the way it is, 23% say change it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:22 pm 

The test packages of Coral Blend have been completed. There are three variants that I put together A,B and C. This is a blind test and I will post what the variants are upon analyzing the data. This is to keep the testing as neutral as possible. Like I wrote before nothing new has been added to the variants so if you have used the Coral Blend in the past you can be rest assured that will not be adding anything new into your tank.

There are a total of six sets of test packs with three of them being reserved for the three people who PM’d me asking to take part in the testing, bradnamber, shoota and spazdad.
There also is an evaluation form that goes along with the test packs that I am asking testers to fill out and return back to me (postage paid envelope) or in person at the pickup point.

The pickup point is Best Fish 1335 N. Dr. Martin Luther King Drive, Milwaukee. If you are not on the reservation list it would be wise to contact Best Fish and ask Brian if packs are available prior to driving there, PM me if you need his email address.
It is important that the test packages of food remain frozen on your trip back home so be sure to bring a cooler with ice or cold packs along with you to keep them from thawing. They are smaller approx. 2oz. packs and will thaw quickly if not kept properly cooled. If you do not have access to ice or cold packs Brian has offered to provide cold packs.

When you stop in to pick up the test packs be sure to check out their fine selection of livestock and dry goods at great prices.

Looking forward to review the data found with this testing and if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:37 pm 

Thanks. What do you mean by "a little bit of my food goes a long way" ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm 

shoota wrote:
Thanks. What do you mean by "a little bit of my food goes a long way" ?

There are no binders or water added to any of my foods so you do not need to use as much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:14 pm 
WRS Member
WRS Member

Can't wait. :-bd

God Built the Oceans in a Single Day ! It will take slightly longer to build mine . . .

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next