Wisconsin Reef Society

The Wisconsin Reef Society
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:51 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Re: Dive class
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm 

AntiSPAM: No
Jo Ellen wrote:
We used underwater connection when the grandkids got certified. We have also used diver fans for our boy scout troop. If you are going on a trip to a warm water destination do the check off and complete your certification before you go. You want to be able to do the cool dives once you get there. Diving is not a cheap Hobby but we love it
Hence out interest in salt water tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I almost did a class when we were down in Keywest but my wife didn't want to and I didn't feel like going alone. We did a glass bottom boat. That was pretty cool. After we saw a few small sharks there's no way she was going to go in the water ; (

I was just thinking if we had a group that wanted to go we could get a discount and make it a bit cheaper for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:22 pm 

Spazdad wrote:
Even the class isn't enough in my personal opinion. I've taken it twice. Once with underwater connection and once with diver dans. I did the few months class the first time and the crash the second time. Even doing it twice isn't enough. So anybody going into this just pay attention and review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why you dive in groups. A class doesn't make you a pro it's just a place to start.

Last edited by SFish on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:53 pm 

SFish wrote:
Spazdad wrote:
There is a lot more than just putting a tank and find on and getting in the water. Serious ramifications will occur with small mistakes.

Of course there is. That's the whole point of takeing a class and not just renting gear and going for it. Like if you surface to fast you can get the bends.

You won't have a chance for the bends at the times and depths you will be at, but your point is valid nonetheless. Made me think of an experience of mine a while back...pulled it from my thread.

http://wireefsociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12900&hilit=whimsical

"Dive 3 - Rubiah Sea Garden -

Prepping for the navigation portion of my advanced, a last minute change leaving me scrambling to get in the proper boat and head off. Into the water, the flat mostly sandy bottom perfect for the exercises to be completed. Concentrating on my kicks and measurements to navigate and return to our original starting point, my gauges an afterthought. The final drill finishing, I glance at my dials for the first time.

Yikes!!! 20 bar!?! Banging on my gauge, checking to make sure it is not somehow stuck. I've only been in the water 20 minutes, how is this possible!?! Signaling to the instructor, holding up my gauges, instant confusion sprawled across his face. The gauge must be broken, just stay close and if it runs out, reach for mine, he explains.

Shortly thereafter, breathes becoming labored to the point it becomes necessary to grab his backup air supply. Left with no choice, we head to the surface.

Back in the boat, thoughts racing through my mind. My head spinning as I sort through the earlier events. Did I check my air four hours earlier when I was handed a new tank? I changed tanks right? Is this my setup or did I pick up someone else's? Unable to decipher the order of things, each dive muddled together. Each breakdown and setup feeling the same, it has to come down to two possibilities. I either was given a used tank and never checked or my air leaked in between the time I hooked it up and actually used it. I begin to remember the hose connected to my BCD being disconnected when I returned to my gear.

Either way, dodging a potential panic and bolt to the surface or to my instructor. A wake up to the attention to detail to avert disaster."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:55 pm 

Location: Milwaukee, WI (1 minute away from The Wisconsin State Fair grounds)
Always be cautious. My brother just did a online crash and did the certification when he got to his destination. He wasn't cautious enough with the equalizing and crushed his ear drum which caused an infection and hearing loss but not permanently it looks like. He thought nothing of it as he went up and down trying to equalize when it hurt. Well one step down too far and it happened but his pain wasn't there so he thought he equalized. He got lucky it wasn't perforated which happens all the time and causes permanent hearing loss.

"My friend set half a glass of water in from me. He asked if I was an optimist or a pessimist. So I drank the water and told him I was a problem solver."

300G DD Display, 365G Sump with two dual downdraft skimmers, santa monica surf4x scrubber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:23 pm 
WRS Member
WRS Member

SFish wrote:
Jo Ellen wrote:
We used underwater connection when the grandkids got certified. We have also used diver fans for our boy scout troop. If you are going on a trip to a warm water destination do the check off and complete your certification before you go. You want to be able to do the cool dives once you get there. Diving is not a cheap Hobby but we love it
Hence out interest in salt water tanks.

I almost did a class when we were down in Keywest but my wife didn't want to and I didn't feel like going alone. We did a glass bottom boat. That was pretty cool. After we saw a few small sharks there's no way she was going to go in the water ; (

I was just thinking if we had a group that wanted to go we could get a discount and make it a bit cheaper for everyone.

We did our discover scuba when we where on a cruise and dove for the first time in St Thomas. Then on our honeymoon we went to Punta Cana in August. WHAT Where we thinking! 110 in the shade, burned my foot walking to the pool. They had started the class that day but we assured them we where quick studies and spend the next five days under the ocean. Did our advanced certification in St Lucia and our recur diver here in the states.

In My Tank- Blue Hippo Tang, yellow tang, Two Mai Tai Clowns, Diamond Back Goby, 2 Bangai Cardinals, Melanus Wrasse,Tube Anemone, Watermellon Anemone, 2 snowflake clowns, lawnmower blenny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:52 pm 

We almost did a dive class when we were in Egypt as well but it was on the last 2 days of a month long trip and we didn't feel like spending the last few days studying.

L-)

We did snorkeling in Thailand and Mexico. My wife doesn't like the whole mouth pice thing so she won't even do that any more. Plus she got mob by fish in Thailand. A person brought bread long to feed the fish and as soon as they gave it to her she was surrounded by fish LOL.